Thursday, May 12, 2011

Breakfast with the Hysterics


I don't know about anyone else, but all last night and most of this morning I've been thinking about the Celtics 2008 championship run. I don't know if it's to deflect my mind off last night's loss, or because I know it might be quite some time before the C's win another title, or simply because I'm forcing myself to "think happy thoughts", but it's probably the best thing to do after last night's debacle.

However, the Heat finishing off the Celtics seemed like more of a formality than anything else. From Game 1 on, it was pretty evident that the Heat were the better team, and credit to them. After their unbelievable suckage through the first few months of the season, they seem to have found some cohesiveness, and I think it's mostly due to the emergence of guys like Mario Chalmers and Joel Anthony than it is the play of James and Wade. Those dudes are going too get their points no matter what - nothing really changed. The Heat were also younger and healthier, which made any sort of Celtic lead feel unsafe. The C's were up 7 in the 4th quarter last night and up about the same in Game 4 too, but each time I almost felt like the Heat were just toying with them before turning it on late and putting the game away. The C's definitely need some young players to mix in with the Big Three if they're going to have any chance of competing next year. As mixed as my feelings are concerning the Perkins trade, I really feel like Jeff Green is a good start on that front.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Heat's celebration at the end of the game. Please note, this isn't sour grapes - I'm pointing it out not because I love the Celtics or hate the Heat, but because I've seriously never seen anything like that in my 20 or so years of watching sports regularly. James, Wade and the Heat embracing, collapsing to the ground, wiping away tears... are you fucking kidding me? It's not this, OK?:


Not even close. Far be it from me to tell people how to react, as I'm sure a lot of it was natural emotion, but I half expected to see Spoelstra cutting down the nets, champagne flowing in the locker room, and Bosh screaming "ANYTHING'S POSSIBLEEEEEE!!!!" I'm shocked we didn't see D-Wade proclaim "I'm going to Disney World!" in his post-game interview. It's a second-round series, for christsakes. One can only hope they blew their emotional load to early and come out flat against the Bulls and get rocked. Needless to say, I won't be watching.

In other piss-poor news, that rancid smell mixed with Cetlic fan tears is the scent of John Lackey shitting the bed once again. I don't know what the fuck his deal is, but he'd better get it together before the Red Sox invent an injury, throw him on the DL, and see what Felix Doubront or Andrew Miller can do. Either of those guys has to be better than this fat, ugly bag of suck right now. And if the game wasn't bad enough, the Sox had to bring in Tim Wakefield to really put it out of reach. 65 mph floaters can't get Major League hitters out - who knew? On the bright side, Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz continue to park baseballs in seats (and if it's the Rogers Centre, the seats are empty). But all in all, and incredibly frustrating night of sports in general.

I wish the Bruins started tonight.

No comments: