Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Welcome Back Nomar



Before I watched the press conference this morning I wanted to rip Nomar a new asshole. I couldn't believe that Theo and Co. would be celebrating a player who basically gave up on his team and teammates. I wasn't happy when fans cheered him when he came back to Fenway for the first time this year, and I wasn't sold that he changed. But I watched the press conference, and as gay as it sounds I was moved by it.

"But throughout all that time, I was constantly seeing Boston fans everywhere and telling me the same thing, and like I said, there's a place in my heart for those teams that I've played for, but the biggest part in my heart is obviously here. And that's why I felt like for me to really finish and ultimately retire, it wouldn't have felt like a retirement if I couldn't put this uniform on one more time."

Awwwwwww. Thanks Nomie, want to go over my house and hug while we chat about the good times over some Moet and chocolate covered strawberries? Just kidding. There is always going to be a special place for Nomar in my sarcastic dark pit of a hole that once contained my heart. In high school and college Nomar WAS the face of the Red Sox. True he never seemed to like the media, fans, or even playing in Boston, but I rooted for him anyways. The beginning of 2004 seemed to play out like so many other disgruntled athlete sagas in Boston: Mo Vaughn, Roger Clemens, Carl Everett etc. When he left, I was a mix of pissed off that he gave up on his team, and sad that THE face of the Red Sox was gone. For years after I never gave him any credit for the 2004 World Series, and laughed and giggled as he tore his groin, strained his bicep and whatever other illness befell Garciaparra.

But this morning, as I watched Nomar on the podium with Epstein, and Lucchino, I could finally move on. He seemed genuine, and letting us, the fans, know that all along he still cared deeply about Boston meant alot to me. So I have decided to put away my vendetta against Garciaparra and accept him. Nomar was a Red Sox once again, even if it was only for a day.

1 comment:

Chuck Hanf said...

Now that's more like it! I think I helped you turn the corner this morning via Tweets. j/k