Friday, May 15, 2009

Breakfast with the Hysterics


On Tuesday as I was typing up my Boston Sports Tonight post, I thought back to Sunday night. Sox win. Bruins win. Celtics win. So as I'm making ridiculous predictions I said to myself "It can't happen again, can it?" It can. It did. The trifecta. Life was good. So after another clean sweep I just kept telling myself "Enjoy this while it lasts, Smarty."

We were experiencing an extreme rarity in Boston sports. The Bruins taking aim at the conference finals. The Celtics doing the same. The Red Sox are playing some damn good baseball. But you knew it wasn't going to last forever. Despite what we wanted and despite what the Boston Globe jinxes tells you, we're not going to win everything. So as I settled in late yesterday afternoon to catch the end of the Sox game before the Celtics and Bruins got underway, I had this in the back of my mind. Just enjoy it.

And then the Red Sox lost in a heart-wrenching 12-inning walk-off nightmare. Then the Celtics, who had led the entire game, blew it and handed Game 6 to the Magic. And finally, the biggest blow of all. The Bruins lose Game 7 on home ice in overtime. Curtain.

How can three amazingly exciting games suck so hard? An extra-innings game, an epic basketball struggle between two very evenly matched teams, and a Game 7 overtime? How can you not enjoy that? But somehow, I didn't. We didn't. Maybe we should. While it lasts.

Go Red Sox. Go Celtics. Go Bruins.

2 comments:

HZMLS said...

When can I start my trade/bench/release/demote/deport David Ortiz post?

Boatdrinks said...

(whispering) Has anyone checked on Raquel?
HZ..I have him on my fantasy team and haven't touched him as that would be showing lack of faith. Right?