Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Local Boy Makes Good


It's not often that the Salem News gets to break an NFL story, but there I was on ESPN's Rumor Central, seeing a link to the same newspaper that pretty much every kid I knew delivered to old people between the ages of 10 and 13. Sadly, Steve "Gargasmell" Gargan had the delivery gig in our neighborhood and I hate him to this day for it. It seems that Brian St. Pierre, the fourth most notable thing from Danvers behind "dead falsely accused witches," "Mark Bavaro," and "exploding chemical plants," has re-signed with the NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals (holy shit that feels weird to write), and has even been promised an opportunity to battle for the Cards' No. 2 QB job with walking Gonoherpesyphillaids carrier Matt Leinart. This after the Chiefs had apparently sought after St. Pierre's services, before raping the Pats for Matt Cassel. Still, our boy, he of the ONE career passing attempt in six NFL seasons, was wanted by multiple teams this offseason. Hooray Danvers!

The terms of the deal were not disclosed, though Saint said that "I got a raise," and noted that he negotiated the contract via text messages while at the Bruins game with his buddies. Yes, the man who hasn't thrown a regular-season pass since 2004 and has four kneel-downs total to his credit got a raise from the NFC Champions, and may even get a promotion to second string. This makes me love America immensely.

Now, I have a special place in my heart for St. Pierre, given that we grew up in the same town and attended the Greatest High School in the history of mankind. Saint struck me out repeatedly in Little League (baseball honestly may have been his best sport), he led our high school to our last state football championship, and he was my point guard freshman year in basketball. In every interaction I ever had with him, he was a standup guy, was humble as all hell, and worked harder than anyone on whatever field of play he happened to be on. I continued to hear great things about him at BC, where he won the Scanlan Award for leadership.


In a North Shore that has produced flameouts like Jeff Allison, Brian Lentz and Jeff Juden, St. Pierre is a shining example of what working hard and maximizing your athletic and mental ability will get you. Sure, Saint will never be a standout NFL quarterback or the most athletic guy on the field, but he's stuck around the league for six years now, and is being happily welcomed back for a seventh, despite more athletic, stronger-armed and greater-hyped quarterbacks challenging for his job every season. The man's gotta be doing something right, and he deserves recognition for what he's accomplished.

4 comments:

Sh!tShow said...

Ahem.

ST. JOHN'S PREP SUCKS!

That is all.

GHABB,Y~! said...

He's alive! And name one notable athlete in a real sport (swimming doesn't count because it's gay, and harboring criminal brothers doesn't count either) that your school ever produced. BC High is where South Shore kids go when they don't get into Xaverian, and Xaverian is where kids to go get their asses kicked by SJP.

/Eagle and Damn Proud

Oz said...

Fuck X.

Fuck BC High.

That is all.

(Prep '01)

HZMLS said...

I faced St. Pierre in Babe Ruth, and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I was like 4'10 and here comes this gigantic monster who could throw like 85 mph at only 14 years old. I believe I stood so far away from the plate that the ump had to tell me to step into the batters box which i reluctantly did. I swung at three pitches, closed my eyes wasn't even close, and went back to the bench happy he didn't drill me.