Thursday, March 5, 2009

Breakfast with the Hysterics


Happy Thirsty Thursday everyone, hope you all are surviving the week at work, college or jail. The Celtics as mentioned in my Big Baby post, played last night against the pitiful Nets, and barely squeaked out a win 115-111. By far the funniest part of the night was the rain of boos on Stephon Marbury everytime he touched the ball, Marbury must be less popular with NYers than Eliot Spitzer. I cant wait for the first game between the Celtics and the Knicks at MSG, maybe it would be safer for Stephon to not even show up, or if he does, New York needs to set up metal detectors. Hell they should probably set up bomb sniffing dogs, because New Yorkers are bonkers enough light up the entire building if it means getting retribution on Starbury.

Also mentioned before the Bruins made two trades acquiring Mark Recchi, and Steve Montador at the deadline. I honestly watched Bob Beers and Kevin Dupont break down the trade last night and this is what I got out of it. Mark Recchi is a left handed shooter, who gives the Bruins greater depth on the power play (which I guess has sucked lately), and some veteran prescence. Montador sounds like a fighter, a guy who takes no shit, and gives the Bruins defense another guy who will kick the shit out of anyone who gets in his way. But I guess the biggest news was the trade that was not made, according to Dupont the Bruins were considering trading Phil Kessel for Chris Pronger. The only analysis they gave was that the Bruins knew that Pronger is on his last leg, probably his last year, and couldn't stomach giving up 12 years of Kessel for 1 year of Pronger. Because I know there are alot of hockey fans on this site, my question(s) are: Were you happy with the moves the Bruins made at the deadline? Would you have made the Kessel deal? Should I stop talking about hockey and move on to sports I know more about?

And oh yeah BC lost to NC State....fuck.

5 comments:

Raquel said...

NO I WOULD NEVER EVER IN A BILLION YEARS HAVE TRADED KESSEL FOR CHRIS PRONGER. NEVER NEVER NOT EVER.

Now that I know that's what was on the table, I'm sorry I even considered Pronger an option. Blech.

Mark Recchi has been traded at the deadline 6 times in his career. He's a fucking rented mule, and everyone knows it. I'm totally underwhelmed by both moves, honestly... I don't see either of them having substantial impact on the Bruins' play. We'll see, though.

Oh, and I thought your hockey analysis was excellent :)

Raquel said...

Mark Recchi : the Bruins :: Paul Byrd : the Red Sox

Cornelius Hardenbergh said...

I like the Recchi and Montador pickups, especially without losing any current roster players. Montador is good because depth on defense means Chara doesn't have to play half of every game.

Shaun said...

Agreed with Raquel on the Kessel for Pronger thing.

ballamiguel said...

In response to your questions:

1. I guess.
2. I guess not.
3. Yes please. I just didn't see any passion in your hockey talk.