Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Most Sane, Rational Post Ever




OK, I admit it - when you're a URI fan there's really not much to get excited about. You hope that someone like a Lamar Odom or a Cuttino Mobley emerges every decade or so so you can have something to brag about. Making the NCAA Tournament is far from a given, and often I'm just holding out hope that they can land an NIT bid and make a bit of a run in that. But last night...last night is why I'm a college basketball fan.

Thanks to the magic of TV on the internet, I was able to watch the entire URI/Dayton game last night, a huge game for both teams to be sure. The winner solidified their NCAA Tourney resume, and the loser drifted further and further back on the bubble. Rhody jumped out to an 8-point halftime lead, but Dayton's defense plus some sloppy Ram play allowed the Flyers to tie it and send the game to OT. With about 15 seconds left in the extra frame and URI up three, Dayton buries a three to tie things up. Fuck. But then...then, well....this happened:



And believe me, I went nuts, jumping off my couch with both fists in the air screaming YES! YES! YES! My phone started blowing up. Then it was the top play on SportsCenter this morning. My phone blew up some more. I'm still reeling from this one. And this is why we love sports. Games like this. Seriously, the 3rd-best URI game I have ever seen behind this one and this one.

But don't take my word for it:

"This is the greatest moment I’ve ever had at URI. It’s not even close. You only dream of these things," said Jimmy Baron. "I’ll remember this for the rest of my life."

5 comments:

A Pimp Named DaveR said...

On a schoolwide basis, however, the Greatest Moment At URI is still a tie between "I got my period again" and "the test came back negative."

A Pimp Named DaveR said...

Followed closely at #3 by "The day that Denny's started hiring again."

shaun said...

Rhode Island kicks ass.

Raquel said...

YOU ARE EYE

hcg said...

A very nice informational blog.Keep on making such important blog post.Your work is really being appreciated by some one.