Monday, February 9, 2009

C-Fraud



So did you guys hear? A-Rod may have most likely probably flunked an anonymous test for performance-enhancing drugs! So here comes the Mass Hysteria post about how he is "A Fraud"! (LOLZ!!!!) Here goes! A-Rod is a smelly stupid-face and a cheating jerk and he...I'm sorry, what?

There's a picture of who?



Oh, but that's impossible. Jeter is so perfect at everything, why would this post be about him? How could HE be labeled a fraud? A-Rod is the fraud, am I right folks? Well, not so fast. Look, I could sit here and debate the morals of Rodriguez and the validity of his numbers and suggest things to throw at him when he comes to Fenway in April. But honestly, I don't care. I really don't. Mainly because I wasn't all that surprised by the whole thing. If people want to get in a huff over it and ZOMG HE IS TEH WORST!!! and start throwing baseball cards into their fireplace and putting asterisks in record books, go for it. But really, as a Red Sox fan, the only thing on my mind about this whole thing is "How is this going to affect the Yankees this season?" And my guess is it's going to be a huge distraction. And I think that because Derek Jeter, the almighty captain, is going to pull his usual garbage and not stand up for A-Rod at all.

If you haven't already figured it out, Derek Jeter is, to put it bluntly, a shitty team captain. Anyone who thinks he is doesn't really bother to listen to what comes out of his mouth. When A-Rod was signed, Jeter refused to move away from the SS position, even though A-Rod is better than him at everything. And ever since A-Rod's arrival, Jeter has been a whiney, bitter crybaby concerning Rodriguez and frankly, I think his actions have hurt the team more than they have helped them. And this is not meant to be a pro-A-Rod argument, rather, I'm just trying to highlight Jeter's complete inability to stand up for Rodriguez and defend his teammate in the face of adversity. And I bet this time will be no different. Just like when A-Rod was being booed. Just like when Torre's book dropped and he was called A-Fraud. Jeter never backed his teammate - just said something along the lines of "You'll have to ask Alex," or "I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season."

But Smarty, you say. This is different. These are steroids. Well, since Rodriguez was not the first Yankee to be linked to steroids, let's see what Jeter has said about past users:

"It seems right now people are rushing to judgment," Jeter said of his pal, whose name headlined the Mitchell Report last week thanks to the testimony of former personal trainer Brian McNamee. "You have to let it play out a little bit before you say he is guilty or not guilty."

Jeter lauded Andy Pettitte for admitting last weekend that he used HGH in 2002 to help a balky elbow heal quicker. McNamee said in the report he injected Clemens and Pettitte.

"I talked to Andy and he knows how I feel about him," Jeter said. "He came out and was honest about it and it's time to move on."


Hmm.

Now onto his comments about A-Rod:

"My initial reaction is, let him respond," Jeter said. "Give him the respect to respond to it before you pass judgment."

In other words, go talk to him. It's like he can't be bothered to stand up for his guy. Yeah, I'm the captain, but you know, in name only.

In contrast, here's what Jorge Posada said:

"I've gotta say Alex is my teammate and is gonna be my friend forever," Posada said. "I'm gonna support him any way I can."

Posada said he sent Rodriguez a text message but has not heard back. Jeter would not say if he has reached out to Rodriguez since the test results were reported.
(emphasis mine)

Shocking.

Listen, obviously when you're failing in the clutch and banging Madonna and putting Dexamethasone in your Corn Flakes, you're going to bring a fair amount of distraction to your team. And when you can't depend on your team captain to get your back, well...maybe he's not much of a captain.