Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Alex Cora, You Will Be Missed


In case you didn't hear Alex Cora signed with the Mets yesterday. Yes, our utility man for the last three and a half seasons is leaving, to be replaced by over priced non hitting suck bag Julio Lugo. Cora who we received when we gave up Ramon Vazquez to the Indians back in 2005 (remember Vazquez? He wanted to be traded because he thought he could be a starter. WRONG) Cora's departure isn't going to make a huge difference on the team but hey he was a solid back up while he was here, even hitting .270 last season (in limited plate appearances), and was always solid in the field. I really liked Cora, it wasn't a huge step down when he would fill in for Lugo, and he was versatile and could at least get his fucking bat on the ball, which is more than you can say about most MLB utility infielders. But let's look at the history of my irrational view of Cora's potential and laugh at how stupid I was.

At the beginning of the 2007 season word was Dustin Pedroia was going to be the starting 2nd baseman, and if you remember he started off the season SLOW, like Craig Grebeck slow. Luckily MH wasn't around at that time, because I'm sure you would have read posts from me saying things like "Yeah, bench Pedroia he's not very good, give the at bats to Cora". I can still remember the conversation I had with SmartyBarrett, who in no uncertain terms told me that I was an idiot, and that Pedroia was going to be three times the player Cora was. Well I was wrong and he was right, Pedroia ended the season as ROY with .317/.380/.442 while Cora sputtered in at .246/.298/.386. And oh yeah Pedroia had about thirty HUGE post season hits. So, yeah, my ranting and ravings were a bit off, and I encourage each and every one of you to taunt and mock me relentlessly for this, it's my penance for being a boob.

Even if he isn't as good of a player as the MVP of the league and lost most of his AB to the "super dreamy" Jed Lowrie, Cora was still a good defensive player. This season in late inning games, when Lugo is trotting his worthless ass to shortstop, we are all going to miss the days of Alex Cora.


And by the way Pitchers and Catchers report in a month.

3 comments:

SmartyBarrett said...

I can still remember the conversation I had with SmartyBarrett, who in no uncertain terms told me that I was an idiot, and that Pedroia was going to be three times the player Cora was

I am going to haunt you with this to your grave. Then when you die, I will petition your loved ones to have "The Red Sox should start Alex Cora over Dustin Pedroia" on your headstone.

GHABB,Y~! said...

But now who serve as Jerry Remy's "guy who's going to be a Manager in this league" on the Sox? My wild card guess: Hideki Okajima.

Shaun said...

I'd say Timlin to Ghabby's reply, if not for his being too busy compiling a list of people to kill with his crossbow, like Danny McGrath (Steve Buscemi), in Billy Madison.