Monday, December 22, 2008

Breakfast With the Hysterics!


It was another weekend of thrilling victories for Boston sports teams, most of which you probably missed due to excessive partying and the resultant crippling hangovers. No? Just me? Well, uh, whatever then. We'll have more about sports and stuff today. I think. Or maybe we won't. Boston's currently under a solid 2 feet of snow and I have avian flu or Lou Gehrig's disease or something similarly awful. I don't know. I'm not a doctor. Maybe the nausea and dizziness is just my body reacting to the fact that I'm going to have to cheer for the Jets when they play the Dolphins next weekend. GROSS.

Meanwhile, the city of Chicago is readying itself for the Winter Classic, where the ruddy-cheeked young Blackhawks will play host to the reigning champion Red Wings on New Year's Day between the ivied walls of Wrigley Field.


Many of you will remember that the NHL did this last year, pairing the Penguins with the Sabres at Ralph Wilson. Much as I detest the evil midget Bettman and anything his NHL does, I'll admit that I think this is a pretty awesome tradition that I hope will continue. I'm sure we'll see a Bruins/Habs slate in there at some point if it does... here's hoping it'll be in Boston, not Montreal, so that frostbite might actually be avoidable for those lucky enough to snag tickets.

Also newsworthy, while terribly sad, is the current state of beloved Bruins center Patrice Bergeron, who took a hit during Saturday's afternoon game against the WhalerCanes and is now out for an indeterminate length of time with -- you guessed it -- a concussion. This is not really surprising, as having one concussion greatly increases the likelihood of subsequent concussions. Anyone watching the game Saturday doubtless felt a sick jolt in their stomach as they thought back to that game against the Flyers last October when Bergie lay sprawled unconscious on the ice. The Bruins released a statement saying that Bergeron has been released from the hospital, but there's no timetable for his return. Story here; box of tissues so you can come cry with me on the couch here.


What can I say? I am le sad. There'll be more on the Bruins today, but please keep your fingers crossed for Bergie and his swift return to the ice. All I can think of when I think about Bergie now is Stanley Cup of Chowder's trip to Bruins practice at Ristuccia Arena, where Evan describes how Patrice stays on the ice long after all the others have skated off to continue practicing his stick-handling. OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO CRY. Also injured, to double my sorrow, is hotshot Blue Jackets rookie center Derrick Brassard, who foolishly separated his shoulder in a fight last week (where the fuck were his enforcers??) and will likely miss the rest of the season to get surgery. At what point does Rick Nash just say "fuck it, I'm done trying" and walk out?

Well now I'm all depressed. Goddamnit.

7 comments:

Cornelius Hardenbergh said...

But....18 games with points for Kessel!

They're saying it's not like last year's concussion.

The A-Train said...

shouldn't that be Les Misérables? I don't really know, I took German in high school, not cheese-eatin' surrenderin' monkey like some of my friends.

Hazel Maes Landing Strip said...

Just an update on my Bowl Pick Em Selection:

0-5....overall percentile rank: ZERO POINT ZERO

Boatdrinks said...

uhh..I will quietly point out... I AM IN THE LEAD.

that is all.

Boatdrinks said...

PS... I hate Favre so much, I will have a hard time wanting JEST to win even though it helps the Pats. I will have to pick a player I like on Jets and focus on him. Any suggestions?

GHABB,Y~! said...

@Boatdrinks,
Thomas Jones is actually, by most accounts, a pretty stand-up dude, and has biceps that make me ridiculously jealous, no homo:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/image_assets/4690/060107_tjones_320.jpg

stanley cup of chowder said...

At least you will think about me when you think about Patrice... so I got that going for me.