Monday, November 17, 2008

Breakfast With the Hysterics



So is it just me, or did it feel a little weird yesterday without the Patriots playing? Seemed like a normal Sunday...slightly chilly out, wasn't a bye week, Jim Nantz was still saying dumb things...yet no game. Luckily for me, I root for a basketball team that no one cares about, so while you were watching an epic 11-10 snore-fest of a football game, I was busy having 478 simultaneous heart attacks. Holy. Fuck. What a basketball game. I told myself "Well, as soon as Duke goes up by 20, I'll play Guitar Hero drink beers and watch football. And I...what? OK FINE. I WAS GOING TO PLAY GUITAR HERO. But it never happened, because this game was a fucking dogfight. If anyone bothers to click on the link or happened to catch SportsCenter this morning, you'll note that this was The Jimmy Baron Show. Dude played absolute out-of-his-mind - hitting threes easier than most dudes can hit lay-ups. Unless the NCAA provides me written documentation proving otherwise, I'm going to assume they moved the 3-point line back this year strictly because of Baron. But in the end, Duke pulled it out, but goddamn this gives me a ton of optimism for the rest of the season. I am filled with...what's the opposite of shame? Pride? No..not that far. Less shame? Yeah, that's it.

UPDATED: Because I'm a ridiculous homer, I'm going to throw in the video. Courtesy of boston.com:



Now I would like to treat you all to a sober recap of Saturday night's festivities. Simply put, it was complete sensory overload. I had 4 TVs in viewing range - BC/Florida State to my immediate left, UFC left center, the Celtics directly in front of me, and some sort of black and gold skating show called "Bruins" just right of center. Add a rum and Coke in my hand and FMRA in front of me and I had no idea what to focus on. First, the Bruins lost, but on the plus side, I learned the rules of NHL overtime - always a bonus. Then BC won and no one cared but me, but presumably HzMLS will be shouting out Chris Crane's name during sex for at least the next week. Literally less than 5 minutes later the Celtics won, in overtime no less. Then the UFC fights started and holy shit I am now hooked. The Lesnar/Couture fight did not disappoint at all, at least not for me, although GHABB,Y~! seemed a bit bummed, only because Couture didn't win. As GHABB,Y~! described, Couture is "like Jesus, but real." Now the big question is how long Lesnar will have the title for.

The best part of watching UFC is breaking down all of the fighters' various tattoos. Clearly they are way more hardcore than mine, but I think Britney Spears' tats also fit that description. I just got an email from my ink partner in crime dubbschism suggesting we make appointments to add to our various body graffiti, so here's my question for the masses: Do you have any tattoos? If so, what are they and where are they? And are any of them as cool as this?

10 comments:

Hazel Maes Landing Strip said...

GLUTEN!

futuremrsrickankiel said...

Cute little orchid on my right shoulder; the sun from the center of the Argentine flag on my lower back. It's a big ol' tramp stamp and I love it to pieces.

Rocco said...

AKA "the target". Can't say I'm surprised.

No ink for me.

Let's see, at the bar Saturday after hockey we watched the end of the Sabres game, BC/FSU, Vandy/Kentucky, and Oilers/Avs (on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, the greatest sports program ever). Now if they only had UFC 91 and hot waitresses in tight orange shorts and tank tops.

Murph said...

Couture slipped and fell, then Lesnar jumped on top of him and punched he repeatedly in the head till the ref stopped it. Yeah it was awesome... I'm totally hooked.

GHABB,Y~! said...

Local comedian/musician Robby Roadsteamer has a tat of the Route 1 dinosaur fighting Jesus with nunchucks. It simply is the tattoo that cannot be topped:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=936218&albumID=1004084&imageID=5383935

Rocco said...

Buddy of mine has tons and tons of tattoos from Josh Woods. If you're into tats, check it out:

www.black13tattoo.com

stanley cup of chowder said...

Roadsteamer is also a big fan of Karl's Sausage Kitchen as he points out in his homage to the North Shore in "The North Shore is where you're gonna soar".

Mathemagician said...

SB: Saw the Rhody game, it was amazing bordering on surreal the level the Rams played at throughout the game. I don't particularly root for them, but my brother (an alum) was through the roof the entire game, right up until the two Rhody players fumbled away Jimmy Baron's blocked shot in the final seconds.

SmartyBarrett said...

@mathemagician

Oh I was all that and more - sweating, pacing, yelling, fist-pumping, the whole nine.

As a side note, I can't believe you didn't comment on my random Simpsons quote.

Mathemagician said...

SB: Clearly the complete lack of syndicated episodes in RI is affecting my ability to recognize Simpsons quotes. This might be a good thing...?