Friday, October 24, 2008

Breakfast with the Hysterics



If you remember back to my first piece here at Mass Hysteria, I admitted that I do not know much about hockey. Not that I don't care about hockey or find it fun to watch, I just don't follow it as closely as, say, baseball, football, basketball, golf, billiards, the World Series of Poker, Lindsay Lohan, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, or fencing. But I do know awesome when I see it. And this:



IS AWESOME.

Last night, as I was flipping back and forth between the Bruins, the 2008 BET Hip-Hop Awards (not kidding), the World Series, and The Office, I thought about what Stanley Cup of Chowder said in our comments yesterday. About how sports is difficult to watch without a rooting interest. And I couldn't agree more. That's why ESPN.com's new fantasy game, The Streak, is possibly the most addicting this ever. Here's how it works: they give you a list of scenarios coming up for today in sports. Example: who will win tonight, the Rays or Phillies? Some are more complex, such as who will have more total bases, Howard or Longoria? Basically, you pick a scenario, lock in your guess, and try to build a streak of consecutive correct answers. Granted, I'm not as much into gambling as...umm...others...but it at least gives people a rooting interest in certain games. For instance, I picked the NJ Devils to win the other night and the first thing I did was rifle through my TiVo guide to see if that game was on. I'm not one for promoting the four-letter, but I think everyone should check this out. If you're already playing, what is your longest streak? Mine sits at three, but I've only been at this for about a week and a half.

Much more to come today in the Hysteria, including a Patriots preview, fantasy football, salsa, sex, and a few other surprises. IT'S FRIDAY!

3 comments:

Sh!tShow said...

Oh you silly SmartyBarrett, what have you done?!! You've tasted the sweet SWEET nectar of the gambling gods, that indescribable ecstacy of the andrenaline rush that is gambling. Like all true addictions, the first one is free. Wait until you have to feigning a family illness to your Bank Of America Account rep so you can get your overdraft charges back. THEN you will know the Beast's true sting.

stanley cup of chowder said...

I'm glad my off hand, misguided comment inspired an entire post.

Rocco said...

And that kids is one of the many, many reasons why hockey is the greatest sport on earth.