Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Very Special Breakfast Yankee Elimination Party!


(screengrabs courtesy of NESN)


Ahhhhhhhhhh. There it is. Soak it all in, Boston. The playoffs for the 5th time in 6th years. And better yet, it was a game sure to get fans pumped for the playoffs. First off, the Sox were going up against truly one of the best pitchers in the AL. There aren't too many Brian Bannisters or Radhames Lizs in the playoffs. So getting a win against a quality starter is always a great building block for the postseason. Second, the timely bats. Pedroia, Youk and Bay hit it at the right time like a chick on the rhythm method. And to top the whole playoff-feel off, Tito managed the Manny Delcarmen Band like he was in mid-playoff form. Face it, this is who we're going into battle with - so when Francona can balance out MDC, Okajima, Masterson, Lopez, and Papelbon into 3 innings of scoreless ball, well...you gotta feel good about it. Let the Rays have the division. I'm just ready to get all claustrophobic-at-a-sports-bar-in-October and shit.




So as I watched some of the post-game interviews during the celebration last night, I noticed a common question being asked: "What was your most memorable moment of this season?" And the common answer was, "This!" (or "Deez!" from Ortiz). For me, um, not so much. Here are some other moments I think were more memorable:


August 1 - Jason Bay's first game. As we all mourned the loss of Manny, we all at the same time wondered how the new Canadian Not Manny (hat tip: APNDR) would serve as a replacement. His first start was complete with a triple, a diving catch, and scoring the winning run on a walk-off, and the pessimistic rejoiced. I mean, the only way Manny ever tripled was on those rare situations where two outfielders broke both of their legs on the same play. And Bay has some wheels - probably from foot-racing moose in his youth.





August 12 - Truly the wildest game of the year. Sox blow a 10-run lead vs. Josh Hamilton and the coke-heads, only to have Youkilis crank a go-ahead homer in the bottom of the 8th to give the Sox a 19-17 win. I loved Don Orsillo's play-by-play call: "You kiddin' me?" Also, some dude hit two 3-run homers in the same inning...



June 5 - Coco Crisp is an angry black man. He charges James Shields and gets his Matrix on in one of the best brawls I had seen in a while. I was actually watching this one at a bar, and the reaction from the patrons when they aired the replay was just priceless. And if the haymakers and braids flying wasn't enough, bonus fight! Youk and Manny went at it in the dugout and had to be separated. Awesome.



May 31 - Manny blasts #500. Exactly two months before he got traded, Manny cranked one way out of Camden Yards for his 500th of the year his career. I was at a bar for this one too (alcoholic), and the place went nuts. I then texted everyone in my phone "500!" Dorky? Yes. Drunk? A little. Combine this with Manny's high-fiving fan moment and you can at least take some positive Manny moments from this season - both of them taking place in Baltimore, strangely enough.



May 19 - Jon Lester pitches a no-hitter. Obviously this is probably everyone's favorite memory of the season - the story of Lester as the backdrop, the emergence of him as a stud pitcher on this staff, etc. etc. I won't tell you the story I'm sure you've heard a million times before. Instead, I'll end with a video!

FMRA requested I put up a Nine Inch Nails video. Which I misunderstood, because as soon as I heard "can I see a nine inch" my pants were around my ankles. Enjoy!

12 comments:

Zach Martin said...

Manny cranked one way out of Camden Yards for his 500th of the year.

holy fuck! Barry Bonds must be pissed.

futuremrsrickankiel said...

Ummm hi you forgot the most important: APRIL 15, the debut (for 3 RBIs in a 5-3 win over Cleveland!) of JED LOWRIE WHEEEEEEEEE!

SmartyBarrett said...

@zach martin

This would have been embarassing had your comment not been so hilarious.


@FMRA

He did knock in the winning run in Bay's debut I believe. Who knows, I was at a bar.

(not really)

futuremrsrickankiel said...

Yes, yes he did. And I was at a bar, but I still remember it.

Zach Martin said...

meh

A Pimp Named DaveR said...

@FMRA: You mean the Jed Lowrie who's on a 4-37 tear? The only one who didn't get a hit last night? That one? Yeah, let's celebrate.....

/even Julio managed to hit .244 in September last year....

futuremrsrickankiel said...

No, sorry, I was referring to the Jed Lowrie who's leading MLB rookies in RBI since the All-Star break.

Also, IMPROPER USE OF SLASHIE. You know better than that.

batebaw gam

ballamiguel said...

I was at the August 12th game. I only had to buy my buddy frosty adult beverages, and I got to see three games in one:

-We won 10-0, and everyone was searching the record books for the last time someone hit 2 3-run dongs/had 6 RBIs in one INNING was. Not to mention, we found Wake's eventual replacement.

-We lost 16-5, and the fans behind us cursed out MDC/Terry (they seemed to forget that Texas STILL is the most potent offense in baseball). We figured that Zink would be a bagger at Save-A-Lot by December.

-We won 4-1, and all was well in RSN again.

Zach Martin said...

Damn you smarty, I have been on a youtube NIN tear the entire morning. I might get fired.

Rocco said...

Love me some NIN.

futuremrsrickankiel said...

YAY NINE INCH NAILS PARTY!

The A-Train said...

Woooo! Way to lock up that wild card! Yeah! Go team! High-fives, bravo! [claps] [pumps fist]

/sarcasm

Yes, I am bitter about my Yankees. Kindly hop in front of bus.