Thursday, September 11, 2008

Breakfast With The Hysterics!


* Dammit, Red Sox! If I'm going to stay up until past midnight (and risk turning back into a pumpkin spice latte) YOU BETTER WIN ME THE FUCKING GAME. Once again, we were treated to a late-night Failball Special, as the Sox fell to the Rays 4-2 in 14 innings and slid to 2.5 games back in the division race. BAH. Were I the cheerful, optimistic, forgiving type, I'd point out that Josh Beckett tossed 6 innings of 1-run ball while striking out 7, and that Okajima, Masterson, Delcarmen, and Lopez combined for 6 Ks and 7.1 scoreless innings. However, since (as we all know) I'm a wrathful bitch, I'm going to go ahead and say that Mike Timlin is the most worthless potato-faced sack of old-ass shit this side of the Mississippi and that it is probably his fault I missed the train this morning.

* They turned on the Large Hadron Collider. The world failed to come to an end. Bummer! Kind of wish I hadn't told everyone I secretly hate to go fuck themselves and slept with my ex-boyfriend. Yeeeeahhh, today's gonna be awkward.









[shifts gears]









Enough with the jokes for a second. I ask that you all take a moment to reflect on the significance of this day, September 11th, to each of our individual experiences as well as our collective consciousness. While I frequently criticize people whom I feel have selfishly appropriated the events of that day as a means for promoting their own agendas, I also maintain that it would be fatally short-sighted to allow the hyperbole and posturing that inevitably surround an event of such magnitude to prevent us from appreciating how deeply important the shared memory of that day is and will be in years to come. It may ring false to label as "heroes" those who, through no intent of their own, lost their lives in an unexpected tragedy... and yet I offer you this: by virtue of those deaths, our entire nation was called upon to enter a process of deep and prolonged soul-searching as well as a wholesale reassessment of how we present ourselves to our peers on a global level. Those Americans (and others) who lost their lives on 9/11 did not die in vain if we allow their passing to continue to inform the way we reflect, judge, and act. Then, they become heroes in the truest sense of the word: inspiring with their very memory and ensuring that the human experience may be elevated by virtue of their having lived.

6 comments:

Brandon said...

I wish I could say I regret what I thought was my final act on Earth, killing a hobo for sport. But truth be told, that was just another Wednesday afternoon.

futuremrsrickankiel said...

I can always count on you to elevate the level of discourse...

Hazel Maes Landing Strip said...

I fell asleep during this game, and woke up during the 14th inning, let me just say I had no idea what the hell was going on.

GHABB,Y~! said...

Pumpkin Spice was an original member of Salt N' Pepa, but was kicked out after stealing Spinderella's boyfriend.

futuremrsrickankiel said...

No no... she was the fat Spice Girl!

dAndy ManCandy said...

Funny shit on the LHC, I had never heard of it. Def shift of the gears to the 9/11 piece. Good stuff!