Saturday, August 16, 2008
at 6:52 PM Posted by BCHysteria
News/Rumors/Rants from the Heights
* Senior Chris Crane will be taking the snaps with the first string offense during camp, and Coach Jags says that the starting QB job will be his to lose. Crane will be battling red shirted freshman Dominique Davis for the position, Davis is a mobile QB who relies more on his feet. In the first scrimmage, Crane looked terrible throwing four interceptions. Sounds like Jags choice might have to wait.
* 2008 Hall of Famer and former Patriot Andre Tippett came to the Yawkey Center (at BC) to speak with the team about upcoming season. Tippett told the players: "BC is rich in tradition. You have All-Americans hanging up on the walls and you should carry that as your badge of honor. Take that and keep it with you everywhere you go."
* Kevin Akins changed position from Linebacker to safety and has already received praise from the coaching staff, snagging two interceptions in the teams first scrimmage. Akins was a very slender LB who relied on his speed, but now should become a very physical safety.
* Word is that BC finally has a group of receivers that are actually good. Not to knock guys from past years, but they were never anything special. This season BC will be bringing back Richie Gunnell who was Matt Ryan's big play receiver last year, freshman Ifeanyi Momah who is a whopping 6'6 made spectacular catches in practice.
* BJ Raji and Brian Toal will both be back on the field this year. Toal missed last year with an injury and Raji (his brother is on the basketball team) was suspended for the season due to academic violations.