Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Of Black-and-White Televisions and Disappointment

I'm starting to realize now that I wasn't meant to see last night's Celtics game.

You see, about three hours prior to gametime, I received a call from the girlfriend, with whom I just moved in. The move has been a rocky process, both with the usual packing/unpacking nightmare, as well as the fact that things seem to be breaking/nonfuctional in this new apartment, be they the sink, washer, dryer or internet. It's been a pain in the ass so far, and when I heard the tone in her voice yesterday afternoon, I knew that something else had gone wrong.

"It's...it's....it's your TV. I, um, turned it on, and then it wouldn't turn on, and then I heard a click, and then the room started to smell smoky. I'm so sorry honey, I think it's broken."

"...You've gotta be fucking kidding me."

Sure enough, my beloved 32" flat-screen HD television had broken, and just before the biggest game of the Celtics' season. FUUUUUUUUUUCK. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK. The only other TV in the house was a 10-inch TV/VCR combo, which inexplicably came in black-and-white when I tried to hook the cables up to it. Black. And. White. Seriously.

I spent my night leaning forward, squinting, and saying things like "what's the fucking score?" "Wait, who scored that?" and "Holy shit, KG is even darker than I thought." Unfortunately, there is one play that came through pretty clear, even in black-and-white:

Now, I could talk about fourth-quarter shooting, or the fact that the C's made Sideshow Varejao look like Karl Malone, or the fact that our so called Big 3 has been playing like an Unflushable 2, but that video above sums up last night's game much better than I could. Just trust me when I tell you - as bad as the game looked to all of you last night, it looked even worse in black-and-white.

3 comments:

futuremrsrickankiel said...

SERIOUSLY. As much as I love Varejao, like... he's just not that goddamn good. And he OWNED us last night. That just straight up shouldn't happen.

Sean said...

If only they created places where one could watch sporting events on TVs. Hey, they could serve alcohol, too! Fuckin' hell, I think I'm on to something!

Starting Aces said...

much like yelling "TAKE A SHOT, TAKE A SHOT"... last night I was yelling "MAKE A REBOUND, MAKE A REBOUND"