Friday, April 4, 2008

But do they do bachelorette parties?


Finally, after all those hours I've spent fantasizing about Shawn Thornton dressed up as a construction worker.

Yes, you heard me: the new Bruins commercial is here. The spot features Thornton, Milan Lucic, Jeremy Reich, and Mark Stuart dressed up as construction workers and hanging out on the site of the new condo units across the street from the Garden. Also featured are Lucic's giant hammer, some sweet clips of fights from the season (none of the B's actually playing hockey, mind you, which could lead to a whole post about the decline of play in the NHL but I haven't had breakfast yet), and a lunch box with the Bruins logo on it. WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. So says the commercial.

All in all, I'd have to say my overwhelming reaction to the commercial is one of confusion. Aren't the players actually "working" when they're "playing" hockey, given that they are professional athletes? Does "playing" for them involve dressing up as construction workers and prancing around in front of a camera? [Ed. note: DaveR does something similar on the weekends.] Or are they actually construction workers? Or, alternatively, is it we, the fans, who are supposed to "play hard" by going to hockey games after we "work hard"? What if I don't WANT to work hard? What if I just want to dick around and write hockey posts all afternoon? What if the slogan isn't intended as an imperative at all, but is rather a caveman English version of the existential assertion that "work IS hard, and play IS hard"? ARGH! SO MANY QUESTIONS!

It's possible I'm over-thinking this.

5 comments:

A Pimp Named DaveR said...

LOSE HARD.

futuremrsrickankiel said...

I hate you.

Sean said...

I see the auditions for real-life Steely McBeam are going swimmingly!

Sh!tShow said...

Wait, you eat breakfast at 10:15? I loathe you.

Hazel Maes Landing Strip said...

If the Bruins quit hockey and toured as a Village People cover band, more people would watch.