Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Boston Bruins can cure cancer!


Or so it would seem.

As per this little soft-news tidbit from the Bruins website, it appears that Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, Mark Stuart, Aaron Ward, Dennis Wideman, and Phil Kessel have all agreed to participate in an event alliteratively titled "Cuts for a Cause" to raise funds for cancer research and patient care at MassGeneral. The hook: Each player has agreed to shave their head. More specifically, fans can place bids to win the opportunity to shave a player's head. This is, ostensibly, a lovely gesture; however, I have to admit that I don't fully understand the link between shaving a couple of hockey players and raising money for charity. To invoke an old meme:

Step 1: Shave head.
...
Step 3: Raise money for charity. (Profit!)

Also, is it just me, or is this just a bit... weird? I honestly feel like I'd rather just write MassGeneral a check and be done with it than pay money to shave Phil Kessel's Chris Farley-esque dome. Ah well, I suppose there's no accounting for taste. No word yet on the aesthetic ramifications of the decision to shave, incidentally. I have to imagine that Lucic will look even more intimidating bald, so that's good; however, the thought of Bergeron without his trademark shaggy sideways bang-thingies makes me sad. What about the sexy, Patrice? WHAT OF THE SEXY?

Fear not, mon petit cherie... I am le sexy!

At any rate, I suppose the event will go over more successfully than Taz O'Reilly's charity event, "Cuts For Pissing Me Off." Those of you with a charitable bent and/or a head-shaving fetish can place your bids at the WBCN website.


Photo credit: Boston.com

No comments: